Exceptional Magazine : 2016 Exceptional Magazine
45 Exceptional Australia 2016 A lifetime of achievement Find out more Richard Smith PFD Food Services 2015 Southern Region Champion of Entrepreneurship Richard (Rick) Smith arrived in Australia from Scotland in 1959, aged 19. In 1960, he started work with PDF Food Services (PFD), as a salesman and driver. Rick quickly worked his way up and, in 1970, he was appointed General Manager. In 1976, PFD was sold to a consortium owned by the Liberman family and Rick acquired 20% of the company. In 1988, Rick seized an opportunity to buy the remaining 80% of PFD. At the same time, he bought Glacier Foods Group Pty Ltd, which brought with it a string of strategically located distribution centres throughout regional Victoria. Over the years, the company’s growth, acquisitions and national expansion continued. Today, PFD, a 100% Australian-owned family business, is the largest privately owned foodservice provider in Australia, with more than 65 branches, more than 2,000 employees and a turnover in excess of $1.5 billion.
2015 Exceptional Magazine
2017 Exceptional Magazine